Apple Watch is one of the smartest devices launched by the company. It allows the user to never miss the notifications while being physically away from their iPhone. The new family setup feature in watchOS 7 is quite interesting for the users. This feature is specially introduced for family members who don’t have access to their own iPhone. They can now enjoy the features as well as benefits of an Apple watch.
The Apple watch family setup feature allows your family members to send messages, share their location, and even make phone calls easily. However, this feature is only capable with watchOS7 and iOS 14. The family setup feature can either be used for a kid or older adults in the house. This is a great way to ensure your family member is safe without needing them to own their personal iPhone.
To use this feature, the user needs to have an Apple Watch GPS and cellular. Moreover, the watch should be running on watchOS7 and later models such as:
- Apple watch series 4
- Apple watch series 5
- Apple watch SE
- Apple watch series 6
Steps to setup Apple watch family setup
For the people who know how to pair an Apple watch, the current process is the same with some new changes. Before following the below-mentioned steps, ensure that the Apple watch is on and near to your iPhone.
- Hold your Apple Watch near to the iPhone.
- Tap on the Continue pop-up on your iPhone.
- Click on the set up for a family member option.
- Click on the continue button on the family setup screen.
- Go for the continue option displayed on the data and privacy screen.
- Tap on the continue option displayed on the how the family setup works screen.
- Move your iPhone over your Apple watch. Ensure that your Apple watch is correctly lined up in the center of the yellow rectangle on your iPhone’s screen.
- Click on Agree options for terms and conditions.
- Decide preferable text size.
- Set a passcode.
- Click on the Family Member you are willing to give your Apple Watch to. If they are not on the list, then click on Add New Family Member option.
- Choose the Apple ID password for your chosen family member.
- Click on the Turn on Ask to buy option. This option will ensure to have your approval for purchases and downloads on your Apple Watch.
- Click on the Set up on cellular option.
- Follow the process by your carrier to set your Apple watch on the cell plan.
- Decide whether to share Wi-Fi or not.
- For the upcoming several screens or options, select to turn on the Apple Watch features you want. For instance, location services, photos, etc.
- Click on share contacts options if it’s desirable.
- Decide the Screen Time passcode.
- Tap on School time and decide the desired hours.
Now your Apple watch Family setup is finally done and ready to be used. The features you select will determine what your family member can do on their Apple watch.